Saturday, August 31, 2013

Some background

Here's the deal-io. All about me!

I'm fairly certain only my mum is reading at this point but I like talking about myself.

Alternatively entitled, My Dad Thinks I Could Have Been A Doctor By Now.

I've been in and out of post-secondary education for the last 12 years. Started off in Sciences, decided that being a dentist probably wasn't going to happen because of my extreme aversion to studying of any kind. After 3 years of that mess, I took some time and made some money to squirrel away for the future. (Note: I am a terrible saver, and obviously that money is gone. I would like to think to self-betterment and enlightenment.) (Clothes. It went to clothes.)

After my year off I switched to a diploma program which became the bane of my existence. This was a program designed for people straight out of high school, not people who had 3 years of University experience. I breezed through the SLP-Assistant program cutting possible future reference letter ties (I lack the necessary professional and personal skills to be successful) but making some pretty good life long friends. Also no job prospects, because the day of my convocation I received my acceptance back into the U of A. 

Back at the U of A, I switched into an Arts Degree, which, let's be real, I was doing already when I was in Sciences. Who majors in Psych and minors in English in Science?!? Needless to say English was over though, and I minored in Linguistics, my new dream being Speech Therapy.

Ha! That went about as well as the dentist thing. More time was taken after I finished my Arts degree. A friend I met while working discussed taking the Education After-Degree program, if anything to get my GPA up while I desperately clung to the speech dream, but also to have a shot at having an actual job with my many years of education.

The Ed program at times made me want to stab my eyes out. There were a lot of touchy-feely classes, and, even more horrifying, a lot of group projects. My science teacher put the nice "PREFERS WORKING ALONE" stamp beside my name on the class list, so that's pretty much all you need to know.

Anyway, owing to the fact that Education is a lot of work, but not necessarily hard work, I finished my after-degree in just under 16 months, instead of 20. I did this because I wanted to get a jump on finding a job, and those 4 months were to my advantage. I think.

There's still a very good chance that when school starts on Tuesday, I won't have a job, but more about that later. Also, I'm extremely anemic, so I'm always open to napping in the middle of the day. Or at anytime, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment